January 19, 2006
Ten Core Truths in the Gospel
Let me be reminded today of the following incredible blessings in the Good News of Jesus:
- God having mercy on me, a sinner – sending His beloved and only Son to die in my place on the cross so that I might live with Him forever.
- God taking the initiative to reach out to me in grace – Jesus bearing God’s wrath and judgment in my place.
- God forgiving all my sins, past, present and future – a finished sacrifice that satisfied the Father’s wrath in full.
- God removing all barriers that once separated sinful man from holy God – reconciling me to Himself, making me His friend instead of His enemy –making peace between God and me through Jesus’ blood shed on the cross.
- God lavishing His great love upon me – His pure and holy love – not allowing anything to separate me and His love.
- God knowing me through and through – in all my humanity and frailness, my sinful thoughts and desires, my personality and physical weaknesses – in love accepting me as I am and welcoming me into His eternal family – then working to conform me to the likeness / image of Christ, changing me on the inside from glory to glory in preparation to be presented before His throne faultless and with exceeding joy.
- God declaring me to be His beloved and holy child / son – establishing a new relationship between myself and His holy self, giving me the full inheritance of sonship in Christ – blessing me with every spiritual blessing in Christ forever.
- God generously and abundantly giving the gift of His Spirit to me – as a “seal” and “down payment” in lieu of all that all He will give me and His people on the Last Day, to help me to keep persevering in the faith to the end, to strengthen and deepen my commitment to Jesus, to teach me the Scriptures, to rebuke and convict me of sin, to give me wisdom for decision-making.
- God setting me apart from the world to be exclusively His – making and recreating for His holy purposes – committing to me significant tasks in His kingdom, for His glory.
- God filling me with hope of the resurrection – hope in the face of human despair – promising me that He will lead me safely home whenever I am called to pass through the valley of the shadow of death.